Mother May I


 #MotherMayI. Its May already. This month we will be looking at mother themed films. What I love about themes like this is that it crosses genres a lot. I will focus on films with the mother archetype. It doesnt have to be the main theme just front and center. I love how so many are in the horror genre. What does that say about motherhood? I am terrible in the horror genre space but I will do my best. The archetype is generally bonded with their child, she is female or female identifying but not always. She makes decisions for her child but not always good ones. This is where the archetype can go really wrong. She is nurturing and trusted but that can go wrong too. We are drawn to this archetypes even as fully realized adults. We still need to see her. Here is a brief list of genres that I have seen this theme

  • Horror

  • SciFi

  • Drama

  • Comedy

  • Thriller

  • Animation

  • Fantasy

  • Even Noir

Yeah that’s a lot I know. What’s funny is that sometimes, not all, we don’t even realize we are looking at a mother archetype. It’s so pervasive in film that it feels like a selling point to audiences. Enjoy

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bound- Noir Hot Take

Shrek-Hot Take

Brick-Noir Hot Take