Watership Down-Hot Take


Watership Down (1978 UK)  A fluffle of bunnies try to survive in South UK rolling hills. I was going to put this up yesterday for Easter, you know because of the bunnies but yeah No. Based on the book by the same name this depiction was very well done but....I saw someone on the internet say that 63 bunnies died on camera. That's a lot. Even if that's not accurate its really close. I hear that the film and the book have been banned in certain school districts because of the violence. I can kind of see that. It may be traumatizing for certain children, like Bambi. I loved the watercolor style art and the backgrounds. The sound editing was very well done. As I've talked about before, sound is very important in animation because it helps our brains fill in the gaps. So when a bunny dies you feel it more. Wonderful! But I do recommend it if you can handle it. If you watched Bambi and haven't been traumatized for life you should be OK here. Find it on HBO and Amazon or for rent on most streaming. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bound- Noir Hot Take

Shrek-Hot Take

Brick-Noir Hot Take