Dune-Hot Take




 Dune (2021 US) Adapted from the Frank Herbert novel of the same name. I have always found the 80's David Lynch version to be one of my most disliked films ever and I'm a Sci-Fi fan. So needless to say I, like many other people, was very skeptical of this Dennis Villenueava version. There is a lot going on and I totally think it was the right call to split the adaptation of the book into two films. Although many of the book purists had a lot to say, this film turned out pretty good. Its such a difficult story to tell and be faithful to Herbert's vision. I would consider it the "White Whale" of filmmaking: divisive as heck between the book purist and audience goers. So many opinions about it. So hard to please everyone.. Not sure you need mine so how about a reminder that part two is scheduled for release this year.  Although, it didn't get a lot of attention at last years Oscars it did get recognized. Dune won in the Production Design, Sound and Effects categories. So what they were saying was "we liked it but maybe it could have been better. I loved the deep pool of talent that made it very interesting and yes the wins in those categories were correct. Find it on HBO and for rent on most streaming. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bound- Noir Hot Take

Shrek-Hot Take

Brick-Noir Hot Take