Dave Made a Maze-Hot Take


 Dave Made a Maze (2017 US) I don’t know what to say about this film except Dave Made a Maze. Well, actually a Labyrinth to be more exact and it's made of cardboard. Writer/Director Bill Waterson brings us this batshit crazy absurdist/surrealist/comedy/fantasy/horror. If this all sounds weird that’s because it is but I can almost guarantee you that this is the craziest film you have seen. Despite it’s premise at it’s core is an Odyssean tale which includes a Minotaur, Sirens and demonic cardboard vagina. Yes you read that right. I am in absolute awe of the production design and just how much imagination it took to put that together. The budget was $500 k which in Hollywood terms is a micro-budget. If you have been with me for awhile you will remember that I love indie filmmakers with a unique idea that can execute well and I really do think that they did that here.

Now let’s talk about the script. Waterson said in an interview that he did not want to make a statement with Dave Made a Maze and that he just wanted to tell a human story. Sorry, Dude that’s not how art works. You could be drawing stick figures on a college ruled notebook and still be expressing something. I have heard this before and I have little patience for that because the presumption is that the statement is political. No, that is not true. You could be expressing grief at the loss of a spouse or fear of growing old. The possibilities are endless. The trick is to realize what you want to express and stick to it otherwise it can be a bit of a mess. I think that’s exactly what happened here. The statement is extremely muddled with different ideas. However, I have seen worse and if you don’t think too hard you will enjoy the journey that Waterson takes you on. Find it on Peacock or for rent on most streaming.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bound- Noir Hot Take

Shrek-Hot Take

Brick-Noir Hot Take