Greener Grass _Hot Take


 Greener Grass (2019 US) It’s #FemaleFilmmakerFriday and todays entry is this absurdist black comedy skewing suburbia. Jocelyn DeBoer and Dawn Lueeble write and direct this feature film based on their short film (based on Greener Grass by Paul Briganti?). Wow this is weird. It’s absurdism and they totally get it. If you have lived in suburbia with children you will get it too. I lived in suburbia with kids. Every damn event was pot luck and whatever organization your child belongs to has several a year. Oh and your child wants to attend ALL of them. There was one where a certain Mom would take my dish and hide it. So I go to pick up my dishware and the food is all there . It wasn’t that popular, she says. Hmmm, how to make this work for me. I bring food that I can serve for dinner. Bring potluck dish: check. Dinner for days: check. So basically I brought dinner for us for days knowing that she will hide it. It worked for awhile until one year she wasn’t there and all my food is gone. I was pissed. Dammit, if I bring a potluck dish, don’t eat it. I had to make dinner now to feed my children! Hucking fell at least be consistent with the absurdity. These ladies get the idea of random absurdity in suburbia and the film is loaded with it. To that I say, I think we could be friends. I do think that eventually this will be considered a cult film mainly because it’s so different. Find it for free on Tubi and for rent on most streaming.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bound- Noir Hot Take

Shrek-Hot Take

Brick-Noir Hot Take