Pinocchio-Hot Takes


 If you are expecting a Disneyfied version of this, don't. The film leans more towards the 1881-2 novel by Carlo Collodi. You know, the one where Pinocchio was hung at the end for being a "Bad Boy".  Although, that did not happen in Del Toro's film, he did not spare the audience of some tough moments. A long time ago just after my daughter was born my husband and I went on a date night. We left our daughter with uncles and went to see Pan's Labyrinth. After the movie I was so traumatized by bad things happening to children, that I had to call and see if my baby was OK. What I noticed moving forward is that Del Toro has something bad happening to a child in all of his films. Even the sexy fish film had a moment of that. What I want to know is "who hurt you Guillermo?" "Who hurt you"? This movie was full Del Toro in all of his glory and trauma. Was it good? It sure the heck was. In fact he won best animated feature at the last Oscars. I love how all the characters looked to some degree they were carved out of wood. The puppets were silicon and stuff but it looked like wood. I loved the color work and of course the all-star cast. Will you risk getting traumatized? ummm Yup! Find it on Netflix and that's pretty much it for now 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bound- Noir Hot Take

Shrek-Hot Take

Brick-Noir Hot Take