Turning Red-Oscar Hot Take

Turning Red (2022 US) It's #FemaleFilmmakerFriday and todays entry is this animated feature from Domee Shi. A 13 year old girl turns into a large red panda when she gets too emotional. In case you are wondering it's about puberty and menstruation. OMG this film created a HooHa in the middle aged dude community. It was clearly not meant for middle aged dudes so seriously just move one. Shi got a lot of grief on different sites for this film. I actually read comments. I know, I know that's never a good idea. TBH it was hind of shocking, how entitled and out of touch certain people are. I read one commenter that gave the film low marks and suggested that "if you want a good coming of age story, watch The Little Prince. It does it better". I'm sure that this person also believes that babies come out of the belly button. Don't take a bath or the baby will drown.  Another person suggested the main character was self centered, annoying and smug so she really should have been punished for her teenage personality flaws. Thinking back on that time of my life I really feel a good humiliating moment on live TV would have done me wonders. Its a good film with no actual mention or depiction of aunt flo. It was all allegorical. The main character was awkward, unsure of herself, and could be, dare I say it, self centered. That's the point! It's puberty. I really liked this film and I particularly liked the color work. The animation was CGI which can often come across as cold and impersonal but Shi did a great job to make it more human. The script is sooo relatable in the "coming of age" space despite claims that other films "do it better." The film was nominated for Best Animated film but lost to Guillermo De Toro's Pinocchio which was a stunning film to be fair. Find it on Disney Plus or available to rent on most streaming. 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bound- Noir Hot Take

Shrek-Hot Take

Brick-Noir Hot Take