Oscar Short Films


 My Year of Dicks (2022 US) Todays second entry into #FemaleFimmakerFriday. A 15 year old chronicles her journey of trying to lose her virginity. This animated short was created and written by Pamela Ribon and directed by Sara Gunnarsdottir. I don't normally feature short form films but with a name like that I could not resist. I found this film to be very provacative. Despite its premise and title it's a coming of age story and more about love than sex. Several things stood out for me. First is the animation. Gunnarsdottir used several styles of animation to tell the story. At one point the protagonist barely says anything but speaks volumes through animation. That's talent. I love the voice actors and how much teenagerness they captured. I love how raw it was capturing a time in our lives most people wont talk about openly. Its nominated for best animated short. I hope it wins cuz I like it and this is important, I want to hear a presenter say "D*cks" on live TV. Find it on Hulu or Vimeo. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bound- Noir Hot Take

Shrek-Hot Take

Brick-Noir Hot Take