No Man of Her Own-Noir Hot Take

 


No Man of Her Own (1950) Based on the novel by Cornell Woolrich "I Married a Dead Man". Eddie Muller of points out that this film is not on lists of top noirs but should be. It stars Barbara Stanwyck as the guilt ridden, try to do the right thing femme fatale. Carole Lombard and Clarke Gable made a version of this story in 1932 but the studio wanted to remake it Post Hays code. What I love about Stanwyck is as Muller points out, she can convince an audience of anything: gaping holes in the script? Pish Posh Babs is on the job. Although, it runs a little closer to drama than say, D.O.A. it's still a really solid noir. Adapted for the screen by Sally Benson and Catherine Turney specifically for Stanwyck. These ladies knew how to make it work for a female led noir. I enjoyed it but of course Babs is one of my favorites. I had to rent it but it is available.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bound- Noir Hot Take

1917-review