Doctor Zhivago-Hot Take


 Doctor Zhivago (1965 UK) Its #WTFWednesday and todays entry is this epic film centered around the Russian revolution of the turn of the 19th century. Omar Shariff and Julie Christie star as lovers caught up in the times. By all accounts this is a pretty stunning film. The production design was out of this world and so was the cinematography. It also won an Oscar for the soundtrack. Just the mention of it starts the internal music player in your head. It is that memorable. With all that I turned it off. So why is it in the WTF category? Full disclosure I have a personal history with this film. I was about 10 years old and my parents went to a revival screening of this film. I wanted to go. Even at 10 I loved film. But nooo I wasn't grown up enough for this film. I was so salty over that. Still am. When I turned 18, I rented it just to be a spiteful brat and say it was stupid and glad I didn't go. So I did that. Now that I am older and more mature I watched it again and put away the baggage. I still hated it. With Cinematography, Production Design and Music I was blown away. Wow!! It won well deserved Oscars in those categories. But here is where the film falls apart for me. Shariff has an affair with Christie cheating on his very lovely wife who birthed children with him. The affair comes out of nowhere and really left a bad taste. The wife was played by Geraldine Chaplin, Charlie Chaplin's daughter. What a toxic putz. I was yelling at the T.V. How is this romantic when Charlie Chaplin's daughter gets so hosed? What about her and the children? Find it if you must watch it on HBO and available to rent on most streaming. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bound- Noir Hot Take

Shrek-Hot Take

Brick-Noir Hot Take