SciFi January


M3ghan (2023 US) I wanted to do this last month for SciFi January but didn't have time to get to the theaters. But Peacock now has the R rated version so Hurrah for not leaving the house. A new guardian of an orphaned 9 year old girl creates a robot AI doll for the girl to "play" with. Things don't go well. Some movies have unfortunate timing when it comes to releasing the film and world events can interfere with how much audiences will want to see it. This one had perfect timing. With the AI Bing chat box going bonkers AI is all people can talk about. I just love how Gemma, the engineer who designed M3ghan, shrugged her shoulders when colleagues brought up moral, philosophical and ethical questions about releasing this tech into the world. That would never happen in the real world. I didn't believe it. It took me right out of the film. Personally, I insisted that my daughter, the star chemistry major in college, take a philosophy class. Mother what are you on about? 

Anyway, the film was a marvel really but not without its issues. There were quite a few inconsistencies and many "I have questions moments". For instances, M3ghan was really tough; like combat robot level tough. Why would you make a doll that tough? and wouldn't that be super expensive.  Good lord every single piece of electronics I have ever owned breaks just looking at it. IMHO M3ghan would weigh a lot with her Titanium skeleton and metal electronic bits. Probably wouldn't be allowed on the nice antique hardwood floors. But you know what? I forgot all about those pesky questions because the two ladies who made the doll come to life were just so extra. I cant even. Amie Donald did the body and Jenna Davis did the voice. Wow! These ladies are going places. 12 year old dance champion Donald was able to do the weird ass things with her body that the rest of us normies couldn't even imagine. 18 year old Davis had just the right amount of creepiness and niceness in that voice. I would not want that anywhere near me. 

So I recommend you go read a few articles on the bonkers Bing AI chatbot and then go watch this. Its more fun that way. Its on Peacock or available to rent and may still be in some theaters.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bound- Noir Hot Take

Shrek-Hot Take

Brick-Noir Hot Take